4 Injured in alleged Army firing in Budgam district

NC asks ECI to order immediate probe

STATE TIMES NEWS
SRINAGAR: Two civilians were killed and two others injured in Army firing on Monday in Budgam district of central Kashmir when they did not stop their vehicle at check points.
An army spokesman Col Brijesh Pandey had earlier said the deceased were Army personnel.
He said security forces had an input about militants moving from Nowgam area of Srinagar to Pulwama district on the road passing through Chattergam area of Budgam district in a white private car.
“Three motor vehicle check points were established along the route to nab the militants. The car in which these youth were travelling did not stop at two check points when they were flagged down.
“They even broke through the third barrier at Chattergam leading to the security forces opening firing on them,” Col Pandey said.
He said Army has ordered a Court of Inquiry into the incident to ascertain the facts.
“We regret the unnecessary loss of lives in the incident,” he added.
Earlier, Col Pandey had said four soldiers were injured in the incident and two of them were declared brought dead at hospital.
Superintendent of Police (PCR) Imtiyaz Hussain said an FIR has been registered and investigations have started.
“The guilty, whosoever it may be, will have to face the law,” he said.
Asked about the identity of the deceased youth, the police officer said it could not be ascertained immediately.
“They are believed to be residents of Nowgam area,” he added.
STATE TIMES correspondent from Srinagar has reported that the killed have been identified as Faizal and Mehraj while the two injured, Zahid and Shakeel have been admitted in 92 Base Hospital.
Meanwhile, condemning the loss of lives in today’s army firing, the ruling National Conference asked the Election Commission to order an immediate, time-bound and transparent probe into this incident or authorise the Jammu and Kashmir Government to do so.
“Since the Model Code of Conduct is in effect due to the electoral process in the state, National Conference appeals to the Election Commission to announce a time-bound probe into this incident or allow the state government to probe this incident and take suitable and just action based on the findings of such an investigation,” NC General Secretary Ali Mohammad Sagar said in a statement.